Recipe: Preserved Organic Lemons
Generally speaking organic lemons, like those from our Turkish Nature & More grower Taner (code 445), are best enjoyed fresh. Nevertheless, they can also be preserved in a natural way to be enjoyed later in the year. Preserved Lemons give a wonderful, typical (Moroccan) flavor to dishes. Our Nature & More culinary expert Annemiek has developed a simple recipe:
You need 10-15 organic lemons, salt, 1 quart-sized wide mouth jar with lid.
- Sterilize the jar in boiling water for 15 min.
- Scrub the lemons clean
- Slice off the stem and tip end of each lemon. Cut each lemon lengthwise in a “X” formation, but not all the way through
- Sprinkle salt in the inside and outside of the lemons
- Add 2 tablespoons of salt to the bottom of the jar. Place each lemon in the jar, pushing down on them and squeezing them to release the juices. Fill the jar but leave some headroom. The lemons should be completely submerged in juice. Add 2 more tablespoons of salt to the top. Seal the jar.
- Leave the jar in a cool dark place for at least three months before using. Turn the jar every day. There should always be a layer of salt in the bottom of the jar, so add extra salt if needed. The mature lemons are yellowish brown.
- Once opened, keep in the fridge and re-cover with lemon juice or a layer of olive oil after each use. When you use them the only part of the lemon you need is the rind - scrape away the pith and flesh and chop the rind finely. Try a little stirred into for example mashed potato, or in rice, served with fish.